[MITgcm-support] criteria for MXLDEPTH

Karel Castro-Morales Karel.Castro-Morales at awi.de
Tue Apr 5 06:03:14 EDT 2011

Hi,

We are exploring the output of the variable 'MXLDEPTH' in an Arctic
Ocean setup. In the code "calc_oce_mxlayer.F" we have seen that there
are two methods of choice (i.e. two MLD criteria). It is clear that
method 1 is following Kara et al. 2000 (considering the variable
hMixCriteria = -0.8), however the description in method 2 is not clear
as is not referenced. The hMixCriteria is set equal to 1.5, but: what's
the source of this criterion? and why is particularly set to this value?

Also, why there are two methods suggested? and what's the criterion to
select one over the other?

Thanks a lot,
Karel

--
Dr Karel Castro Morales
Climate Science division / Sea Ice Physics
e-mail: Karel.Castro-Morales at awi.de
Tel. +49 471 4831 2262