[MITgcm-support] Relaxation constant for salinity, tauSaltClimRelax in Global Ocean Simulation at 4deg resolution.

David Ferreira dfer at mit.edu
Tue Sep 21 23:38:20 EDT 2010

  Hi Krishnakumar,
> My question is regarding the relaxation constant for salinity in the
> tutorial (tutorial_global_oce_latlon). In the case of potential
> temperature, we calculated the tauThetaClimRelax according to the
> publication by Barnier et. al (Barnier et. al : Thermal forcing for a
> global ocean circulation model using a three-year climatology of ECMWF
> analyses, Journal of Marine Systems, 1995.) and are getting values in
> the range of 60days, which is also the value chosen in tutorial.
> For salinity, however, I am unable to get hold of any
> reference/publication which discusses in detail the calculation of
> tauSaltClimRelax. Please let me know how this quantity
> (tauSaltClimRelax) could be calculated.
There is no physical justification to tauSaltClimRelax. The non-physical
justification is that it "works", i.e it keeps the solution close to S*
(usually some observed climatology).

> Finally, I feel that the net fresh water surface flux, EmPmR, would
> depend primarily on temperature than on salinity. If true, the
> relaxation term in the salinity equation could look like,
>
> dS/dt= (1/tauSaltClimRelax)*(theta - theta*) + flux (T*,S*)
This looks very strange. It doesn't have the right dimension. Also, even
if evaporation could be approximated as a function of SST, it is less
clear for precipitation.