[MITgcm-support] output of regional statistics

Brian Rose brose at MIT.EDU
Mon Oct 4 14:47:37 EDT 2010

David et al,

Just to follow up on this...  you are right.
The output seems to make sense in the case where I request the global mean.

To be specific, I define 6 regions, and then include the following in data.diagnostics:

  stat_fname(2) = 'OcnStDiag',
  stat_freq(2) = 31104000.,
  stat_phase(2) = 0.,
  stat_fields(1,2) = 'THETA   ','SALT   ',
  stat_region(1,2) = 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,

And I get 7 output fields for each statistic, which seem to be global mean followed by the 6 regions.

On the other hand, if I change stat_region to the following:
stat_region(1,2) = 1,2,3,4,5,6,
(i.e. don't request global mean)
then I still get 7 output fields, and the first one appears to be crap.

So there's no problem now that I know this, but for posterity, this feature seems to work better if you explicitly request the global mean.

Brian

On Oct 1, 2010, at 11:41 AM, David Ferreira wrote:

> Brian,
> The first field could be the global field. Although if you haven't asked for it, it could just be crap (and this could be a problem specific to mnc).
> If this is the case, ask for the global value ("0") and those fields should fill up with sensible values.
> david
>

> On 10/1/10 11:25 AM, Brian Rose wrote:
>>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> I now have the regional statistics up and running, but I'm confused about the output it generates.
>>
>> I have set up 6 regions, non-overlapping, and I'm monitoring THETA and SALT in a file OcnStDiag.nc
>> When I read these into matlab using
>>
>> OcnStDiag = rdmnc('MON/OcnStDiag.*')
>>
>> I get fields with 7 elements rather than 6.  Elements 2 through 7 of each field appear to be the statistics from the regions I defined.  I'm trying to understand what the first element is, and haven't found any documentation about it.
>>
>> For example:

>> ans =
>>
>>     0.1482    6.2174    8.1073    9.7795    9.7660    8.1065    6.2333

>> ans =
>>
>>     0.1482   34.3880   34.6294   34.7944   34.7877   34.6184   34.3785
>>
>> The first element is the same number in both the SALT and THETA fields, so I'm not even sure what dimensions this number is supposed to have.
>>
>> Help?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>> Brian E.J. Rose, PhD
>> Postdoctoral Associate, Climate Dynamics
>> Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences
>> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
>> office: 54-1721          phone: 617-253-5935
>> email:  brose at mit.edu

email:  brose at mit.edu