[MITgcm-support] variable resolution grid

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Nov 5 00:33:51 EDT 2010

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:54:40 -0700 Neil Swart <ncswart at uvic.ca> wrote:

> Dear MITgcm'ers
>
> I'm interesting in setting up a cubed sphere grid, in which the
> horizontal resolution varies. For example, I want a 1 degree
> resolution in the northern hemisphere, but a 0.5 degree resolution in
> the southern hemisphere.
>
> It seems the spgrid package was designed for setting up things like
> this, but I can't seem to track it down online
> (http://mitgcm.org/eh3/grids/spgrid releases/ is gone) and it also
> doesn't seem to be mentioned in the newer documentation.
>
> Is a variable x-y resolution like this actually possible, and can
> anyone please point me towards how to set it up?

Hi Neil,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "variable x-y resolution" but
one can certainly create variations of cube-sphere approaches which
will (to some extent) locally refine or coarsen the grid.

Its been 3+ years since I've looked at spgrid so my recollection is a
bit hazy.  If you have a relatively high pain threshold (spgrid is not
user-friendly and the grids it produces will almost certainly require
some post-processing, etc.) then I can probably find some time this
weekend to dig up the last version of the code and help you get started.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD  |  ed at eh3.com  |  http://eh3.com/