No subject

Tue May 11 10:12:20 EDT 2010

adratic friction is in addition to drag coming from the bottom boundary con=
dition. So that using no_slip_bottom is the same as using no_slip_sides; th=
ere's an extra source term next to bathymetry. I didn't think that I was do=
ing anything dumb/inconsistent by using no_slip_bottom=3D.TRUE. with bottom=
DragLinear and bottomDragQuadratic set to zero.

Is this not the case (and am I dumber than the low I previously thought I'd=
 sunk to...)?

Best wishes,

Dave

On 15 Jun 2011, at 17:08, Martin Losch wrote:

> Quick answer: yes (o:
>=20
> have a look at pkg/mom_common/mom_u_bottomdrag.F and the corresponding do=
cumentation:
> the no/free-slip does not have anything to do with bottomDragLinear/Quadr=
atic, it sets the boundary conditions for the vertical viscosity (Laplacian=
) operator. You might argue that having no-slip in the viscosity term but z=
ero drag is inconsistent, but in the end you are free (and responsible your=
self) to choose a sensible set of parameters.
>=20
> Martin
>=20
> On Jun 15, 2011, at 8:01 AM, Xiaoming Zhai wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>>=20
>> I have got a quick question. What happens if I use no-slip bottom bounda=
ry condition, but does not specify values for bottomDragLinear or bottomDra=
gQuadratic in my data file? It seems that the default values for bottomDrag=
Linear and bottomDragQuadratic are zero. Does this mean my bottom friction =
and the energy dissipation associated with that are zero?  Thanks a lot.
>>=20
>> Best,
>> Xiaoming
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20

**

Dr. David R. Munday
University of Oxford
Atmospheric, Oceanic, and Planetary Physics
Clarendon Laboratory
Parks Road
Oxford
OX1 3PU
U.K.                 01865 284 329

**

"But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."
     - W.B. Yeats, He Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven -