[MITgcm-support] 回复: Open boundary problem!

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Thu May 27 05:06:27 EDT 2010

Hi Ertyy (?),

from your files and figures, it looks like you have done everything correctly with respect to the obcs-package (I don't know about the OBCS_OPTIONS.h, but I assume that you allow N/E/W open boundaries there, too, otherise your velocities would not show up as they do).

The problem is that you will alway generate (unresolved) boundary layers along boundaries (open or not). These can mean total flow reversal as in your case, if, e.g., the surface forcing is such that the flow is different from what is prescribed along the boundaries. There is no real solution with the type of boundary conditions implemented, but you can try to introduce a sponge-layer like this in data.obcs (and ALLOW_OBCS_SPONGE in OBCS_OPTIONS.h):

 &OBCS_PARM01
[ your stuff as before ]
 useOBCSsponge = .true.,
 &
 &OBCS_PARM03
  Urelaxobcsinner = long relaxation time scale of your choice,
  Urelaxobcsbound = short relaxation time scale,
  Vrelaxobcsinner = long relaxation time scale,
  Vrelaxobcsbound = shore relaxation time scale,
   spongeThickness = # grid points,
 &

The model will then relax velocities near the boundaries to the prescribed ob-velocities according to the relaxation timescale (interpolated between the short and long time scale). This makes things smoother, but you might get another boundary layer where the sponge layer ends.

Good luck,

Martin