[MITgcm-support] shelficeForcingS addition to boundary layer

Madeline Miller madeline at caltech.edu
Mon May 10 15:31:47 EDT 2010

Hi Martin,

Everything is clear except  "the diagnostic does the right thing".

As you said, because the 'integration' to recover shelficeForcingS from
gSLoc for the kth grid cell depends on both k and k+1, the tendency
contributed by shelfice (in both S and T) is not very clearly related to the
forcing.  So, I agree that the diagnostic is "correctly" computing the
forcing, but it is only correct in the sense that it gets the units right
and can be simply related to shelficeForcingS.  In the sense of tracking
heat and salt contributions though, it is not the right diagnostic to use.

Do you agree? If so, I will change the diagnostic to be a little more
user-friendly (I suppose that means more friendly to me because I'm probably
the only user).

Best,

Madeline