[MITgcm-support] Hydrostatic as grid approaches isotropic?

Jody Klymak jklymak at uvic.ca
Wed Jul 21 14:27:05 EDT 2010

Thanks Max,

As is often the case, making a vanilla test suite helped me find my
embarrassing error.

If anyone cares, I'd set K_z = 1000 for X<20 km in my code
directory.   Worked great for absorbing internal waves in my 2000-km
domain.  Not so good when I set dx = 5 m and my domain was less than
15 km wide.

Sorry for the chatter.

Cheers,  Jody

On Jul 20, 2010, at  10:38 AM, Maxim Nikurashin wrote:

> [...]
> both horizontal and vertical resolution. Large-scale internal tides
> in my simulations radiate upward away from topography and have phase
> line slopes, and therefore phase speeds, consistent with linear
> theory estimates. Parameters from the data file from one of my
> simulations are attached below.
>
> Cheers,
> Max.
>

> gravity = 9.81,
> gBaro   = 9.81,
> rigidLid = .TRUE.,
> # implicitFreeSurface=.FALSE.,
> nonHydrostatic = .TRUE.,
> staggerTimeStep = .TRUE.,
> saltStepping  = .FALSE.,
> tempAdvScheme = 77,
> hFacMin=0.1,
> &
>
> # Elliptic solver parameters
> &PARM02
> cg2dMaxIters       = 1000,
> cg2dTargetResidual = 1.E-10,
> cg3dMaxIters       = 50,
> cg3dTargetResidual = 1.E-10,
> &
>
> # Time stepping parameters
> &PARM03
>
> niter0 = 0,
> nTimeSteps  =   8640,
> deltaT      =    20.,
> dumpFreq    =  7200.,
> monitorFreq = 86400.,
> abEps       =    0.1,
> pChkptFreq  = 86400.,
> chkptFreq   =    0.0,
> &
>
> # Gridding parameters
> &PARM04
> usingCartesianGrid=.TRUE.,
> usingSphericalPolarGrid=.FALSE.,
> delX = 120*50,
> delY = 120*50,
> delRFile = 'delZ.init',
> &
>

> Jody Klymak wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> Any thoughts on this?  Does anyone have a working near-isotropic
>> setup that they could share the data file for?
>>
>> Thanks,  Jody
>>
>> On Jul 12, 2010, at  15:25 PM, Jody Klymak wrote:
>>

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have been banging my head against a wall with a simulation where
>>> dz \approx 2 m and dx \approx 5 m (there is some telescoping away
>>> from my topography and with depth).  I was running with
>>> nonHydrostatic=.FALSE.  I expected mode-1 internal waves to zip
>>> along at 1 m/s, but the fastest I was getting was 0.1 m/s.  I
>>> thought it was my stratification etc etc.
>>>
>>> Then, or fun, I changed dx to 50 m.  Now I get 1 m/s mode-1 waves
>>> and all is fine.  Is this a known feature of the code?  No doubt
>>> an effect I should have learnt about somewhere...
>>>
>>> I include the pressure solving parts of my data file; maybe I'm
>>> doing something wrong in here.  Note I use linear free surface
>>> because I use Orlanski BCs. (ahem, though I really don't as I have
>>> a big sponge in there.  I really only use the Orlanski code to set
>>> OBNu, OBNv, etc, so if going to a non-linear surface works with

>>> gBaro=9.81,
>>> rigidLid=.FALSE.,
>>> implicitFreeSurface=.TRUE.,
>>> eosType='LINEAR',