[MITgcm-support] Rotating tank in Cartesian

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jul 20 02:54:48 EDT 2010

Alexander,

if I had been familiar with the rotating tank experiment, I could have told you right away, why the rbcs-package does not do anything in this case: in the code directory there is a "private" version of external_forcing.F. This file contains the routines that apply --- surprise ---- the external forcing to the momentum and the tracer equations. Try a diff of this external_forcing.F and the one in model/src/external_forcing.F and you'll see that the private version has some extra forcing applied to the tracer equations that is specifically tailored to the experiment (in cylindrical coordinates), but that the call to rbcs_add_tendency is missing (among other things not revelant to you).

I recommend that  you remove this private routine from you code directory, do a
"make makefile && make CLEAN && make depend && make" in your build-directory and try again. I am guessing that the strange stripes and the edge effects will go away and that you will see the effects of RBCS. If you rely on the specific code in the private version you'll have to (again by comparison with model/src) figure out where the calls to rbcs_add_tendency have to be included.

Martin