[MITgcm-support] 2D setup

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Jul 16 08:57:53 EDT 2010

Hi David,

I would not worry too much: With sNy you will have the same values of T,S,U,V,W,Eta for j=1 and all overlaps in j, so that all you do you keep copying this same value around. It is just weird and I don't think that our instability is really related to this situation, I just cannot rule it out. Earlier I had similar 2D simulations with sNy=1 that worked fine.
All it means is that the MITgcm is not tailored to 2D slabs. If it were, we could just remove all the exchanges in j-direction along with all advection and diffusion and safe some time. But introducing this functionality would make the code less readible, wouldn't it?

Martin