[MITgcm-support] High vertical velocity/noise next to land

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Jan 26 03:20:57 EST 2010

Hi David,

I have a few suggestions to your "data" file, some are unrelated to your problems, e.g:
instead of
>  deltaTmom = 2400.,
>  deltaTtracer= 2400.,
>  deltaTClock = 2400.,
>  deltaTfreesurf= 2400.,
you can cuse deltaT = 2400., which sets all other parameters, in case you do not want asynchronous time stepping (makes life a little easier).

AFAIK the CD-scheme is working but not really popular even with its author, so I'd try to avoid this in high resolution experiments.

For high resolution experiments I found it crucial that the horizontal grid has nearly square grid cells because there is only one viscosity parameter for both i and j direction. If dx and dy are very different you'll have a hard time finding the good values for the viscosity parameters. So I'd go for a grid with dy scaled with cos(lat) for a lat-lon-grid (you need to replace dyspacing by a delYFile='yourfile with dy'). Along with this I'd use the non-dimensional viscosity parameters. Instead of viscAh and viscA4 use viscAhgrid and viscA4grid. These are scaled by deltaT and dx*dy so that a value of one for these parameters give the cfl-criterion for viscosity. See pkg/mom_common/mom_calc.F for details and recommendations for values, there are also other parameters that you can use to limit the viscosity. In general you need bi-harmonic for numerical stability.

Further you can try variable viscosity parameterization: Smagorinski or Leith, here you should probably use the SmagD and LeithD variants, too. I found the documentation on this very helpful:
<http://mitgcm.org/public/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node85.html>, and the header of the aforementioned mom_calc_visc.F

I am not sure if setting the ivdc_kappa parameter (turns on convection by increased vertical diffusivity) is a good choice for high resolution runs.

hFacMin=.05, might be too small, try 0.1 or even 0.3
For advection, I'd use either 33 (DST3FL) or the undocumented 7 (7th order monotonicity preserving scheme, requires an overlap of >=4), there is also the Prather advection (80), which is very stable (but has restrictions for open boundaries, as far as I know)

Staggered time stepping is (in my experimence absolutely) required for the multi-dimensional advection schemes (e.g., 30, 33, 77, 7)

Hope this helps,

Martin