[MITgcm-support] Momentum Budget

Emily Shroyer eshroyer at whoi.edu
Thu Dec 16 12:39:15 EST 2010

Just a follow-up with something that I forgot to mention...

I altered the file mom_fluxform to export the diagnostic Um_Advec just
above the line "CALL DIAGNOSTICS_FILL(fZon,'ADVx_Um
',k,1,2,bi,bj,myThid)". A similar alteration was made for Vm_Advec. As
is, they are written out at the end of this file, and I believe that
they include more than just udu/dx+vdu/dy+wdu/dz, perhaps most notably
the Coriolis acceleration. Before someone implements this scheme, they
should double check it for themselves. I think it can also be corrected
relatively easily after the model run, by subtracting appropriate
tendency terms from Um_Advec.  But I am now happy with the balance given
below, as things add up nicely and they agree roughly with the momentum
terms estimated by myself from the standard outputs of u,v,w, and rho.

Emily