[MITgcm-support] Salinity restoring and tracers

Christoph Voelker christoph.voelker at awi.de
Tue Aug 31 04:43:27 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

when working with passive tracers in an ocean configuration of MITgcm
one can define the concentration of the tracers in atmospheric water via
the variable PTRACERS_EmPmR, such that evaporation, precipitation and
runoff change the surface concentration of the tracers.
But if one does (additional) restoring of salinity, the implied
freshwater flux does not enter the tracer balance in the surface model
layers: the tracer balance (ptracers_forcing_surf.F) uses PmEpR, which
does not contain the restoring term.
I think that there are good reasons to do so (i.e. it is a feature, not
a bug); and if one uses only a weak salinity restoring to prevent model
drift on top of freshwater fluxes from bulk formulae as I am doing
normally this is not a big deal anyway.

But I am now running a pretty extreme case with strong salinity
restoring (to estimates of glacial SSS) and would like to include the
implied freshwater fluxes into the tracer balances. Has anyone esle had
this problem before and possibly solved/coded the terms in
ptracers_forcing_surf.F? Are there further things one would have to
consider?

Cheers, Christoph
--
Dr. Christoph Voelker / Alfred-Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine
Research