[MITgcm-support] KPP scheme and background viscosities

Abbas Dorostkar abbas.dorostkar at ce.queensu.ca
Mon Apr 19 18:38:24 EDT 2010

Hi Jody,

Sorry, my email must be a bit confusing!

I set the explicit horizontal diffusivity to a very small value of 10^-7 m^2
s^{-1} as the 3-DST advection scheme is unconditionally stable and introduces
numerical diffusivity where needed to eliminate grid-scale noise.

I mentioned that the model is not sensitive to the background vertical
viscosity in the range of 10^-7 to 10^-4 m^2 s^{-1} while the background
vertical diffusivity is 10^-7 m^2 s^{-1}. However, increasing the background
vertical viscosity to 10^-3 m^2 s^{-1} gives me a better agreement. From
literature, researchers usually use the constant value of 10^-3 m^2 s^{-1}
for vertical viscosity when the KPP is not used. I am not sure if there is
any relation here.

On the other hand, increasing the background vertical diffusivity from 10^-7
to 10^-4 m^2 s^{-1} while the background vertical viscosity is 10^-3 m^2
s^{-1} gives me a poorer not better agreement.

Please let me know what you think

Thanks

Abbas

Abbas Dorostkar, M.Sc (Eng.)