[MITgcm-support] nonhydrostatic w boundary condition

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Apr 19 03:15:55 EDT 2010

In nonhydrostatic mode, vertical velocities are still computed from "div U = 0". If the 3D pressure solver has converged perfectly, this wVel is the same as the one obtained from stepping the w-equation. If not (in practice you have only finite accuracy), the differences are small, and you have to make a decision which equation you want to satisfy, dw/dt = Gw, or delU=0. In the MITgcm, delU=0, as far as I know. However, W at the open boundary is reset to the prescribed value (see integr_continuity).

If (div U) is not zero, you'll generally get extra sources in the tracer equations. I bet that this will also happen along the open boundaries.

Martin