[MITgcm-support] convincing compiler of node memory size

Holly Dail hdail at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 15 11:00:22 EDT 2010

Hello all -

I'm trying to build an adjoint code for the Nehalem nodes on Pleiades,
and am getting the same error reported in January by Santha here:
http://mitgcm.org/pipermail/mitgcm-support/2010-January/006434.html

Reducing my nchklev_1 does allow a successful compile, but I don't
seem to be able to generate a binary that uses anywhere close to the 3
GB available on the Nehalem nodes.  In my config, if I use nchklev_1 =
30 I get a binary that uses nearly 1 GB, but if I set nchklev_1 = 80
the link fails.

The head nodes have 4 GB of memory, but perhaps there is a setting
somewhere telling the compiler 1 GB is the maximum?  I imagine I could
submit the compile to the queue, but is there another solution?

I'm using linux_ia64_ifort+mpi_ice_nas with -xSSE4.2.

Thanks -
Holly