[MITgcm-support] Using gmredi parameterization in a different 'tutorial' directory

David Lewis sir_louie at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 16:25:31 EDT 2010

Hello,

I’m
writing to request assistance in setting up MITgcm to run a global circulation
model with the Gent-McWilliams-Redi parameterization.  While I have some basic understanding of the workings of
MITgcm, I am not conversant in FORTRAN language (end user knowledge).  In trying to get my code to work I did
the following:

-I’m running out of ‘…/tutorial_baroclinic gyre/’
directory, compiling out of
‘build’ and running out of a revised ‘input’ directory.

-I copied the ‘data.gmredi’ baseline file from another
tutorial directory
(tutorial_global_oce_latlon/input) into my revised input directory.  -I modified the data.pkg file in my input directory to read:                    useGMRedi=.TRUE.,

-when I did the ‘make depend’ and ‘make’ commands,
and then ran from ‘input’ I got the following errors:

(PID.TID 0000.0001) ** WARNING ** INI_PARMS:   phiMin no longer supported <=
replaced by ygOrigin

(PID.TID 0000.0001) *** ERROR *** from
PACKAGES_CHECK: run-time control flag useGMRedi is set

(PID.TID 0000.0001) *** ERROR *** but pkg/gmredi was
not compiled (ALLOW_GMREDI undef).

(PID.TID 0000.0001) *** ERROR *** ==> Re-compile
with pkg "gmredi" in file "packages.conf"

I did notice that in the
‘tutorial_global_oce_latlon/code’ directory, that there was a file named
‘packages.conf’.  Would a simple
copy of this file into the ‘tutorial_baroclinic_gyre/code’ directory help solve this
problem?  If I need to modify the
code, what do I modify?  I can
modify parameters once I get the general structure set up, just need to know
how to get this to compile properly.
Thanks for your help.

V/r,

David Lewis