[MITgcm-support] Bryan-Lewis vertical diffusivity for passive tracers

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Mon Sep 14 03:15:45 EDT 2009

Hi David,

I agree that it is a little confusing. To me it looks like the trick
is that calc_3d_diffusivity is called twice.
1. in kpp_calc, where is sets (let's stick with salinity) KPPdiffKzS
(the "background diffusivity", which includes BL79), in the next step
KPPdiffKzS is used to compute to compute vddiff (in kppmix).
vddiff(:,::,2) is the full kpp diffusivity for salinity (including the
background diffusivity, ie.also BL79) and is then copied to
KPPdiffKzS; again, below the actively mixed layer, KPPdiffKzS has not
changed (no contribution from KPP) and is the background diffiusivity.
2. in thermodynamics calc_3d_diffusivity is called to copy KPPdiffKzS
to the work array kappaKr, which accumulates all contributions to the
vertical diffusivity (also e.g. the GMredi contribution). implicity
diffusion is applied with kappaKr

for passive tracers it's the same, except that kpp does not compute
anything for ptracers, but just uses the salinity diffusivity (whether
that's correct is not clear to me, but it's plausible: why should, say
nitrate be mixed by turbulence any differently from salinity), so that
the non-BL79 part of the background diffusivity is removed (-diffKrS)
and replaced by the corresponding part for the ptracer
(+PTRACERS_diffKrNr). It appears a little inconsistent, that you can
have different background diffusivities for salinity and a passive
tracer (keep in mind that these are not the molecular diffusivities,
where it would be necessary), but that the BL79 diffusivities are the
same (they are of the same "quality" as diffKrS, ie, some prescribed
diffusivities based on sparse observations(?) and some plausibility
considerations).

So in the end, as far as I can see, BL79 is already implemented for
ptracers; the BL79 contribution to vertical diffusivity is just
hardwired to the same values as for temperature and salinity.

Martin