[MITgcm-support] Lock exchange problem with the MITgcm

Flavien Gouillon gouillon at coaps.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 29 15:03:51 EDT 2009

*Dear all,*

*I am starting with the MITgcm but have experience with ROMS and HYCOM.
I am running a similar simulation of the well known lock exchange
problem by Haidvogel and Beckmann (and more recently Burchard and
Rennau, 2009). In a closed flat 2D (x-z) basin (20m depth), I have 2
initial densities, 5kg/m3 difference (salinity is passive), separated by
a vertical wall that I removed at t=0. I turn off all explicit mixing
and diffusion, lateral and bottom free-slip. I have the latest version
of the MITgcm and run in a hydrostatic fashion. Resolution is 500m (cst)
in dx (128pts total points) and 40 levels (dz=0.5m, cst). It seems to
work well but I have few questions since I am quite unfamiliar with this
model:*

* *- *It seems that, for any advection scheme I choose, the MITgcm is
quite “dispersive” (by dispersive I mean that oscillations appear at the
interface of the 2 densities) if I do not prescribe high enough
viscosity (1e-3 for viscA[hz] and 1e4 for viscA4). I did not notice this
using ROMS. Is there any documentation on this that I could read or
anybody has some info to give me? I have attached 2 figures (run with
the 1st order upwind) for the case of no viscosity (all viscosity terms
at 0) and viscosity at 1e-3 as well as my data file.*

* *- *The other question is: when running with the 3^rd order upwind
advection scheme, my density profile has, in some places, a persistent
non-monotic (lighter to denser) feature (unstable conditions, denser
water above a lighter one). I thought that running with a hydrostatic
model would prevent such thing and will not allow any ‘overturning’ (by
quickly mixing any unstable profile) or will blow-up. Is the MITgcm
capable of handling such thing even running with the hydrostatic option
and without any mixing?*

* *- *If anybody tried to reproduce the lock exchange problem from
Haidvogel and Beckmann (or any other lock exchange prob) I would greatly
appreciate any advices/info/etc...!*

*I hope I was clear enough, please don't hesitate to ask me if I need to
provide more info, Thanks in advance for all your help, *

*Flavien *

--
Flavien Gouillon