[MITgcm-support] exf interp

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Wed Oct 21 12:49:24 EDT 2009

Hello,

Sorry, I do not have good news.  I ran the model and the time-mean
gradient of both wind stress (e.g. EXFtaux) and wind speed (e.g.
EXFuwind) reveal the original NCEP grid.  Basically the plot of the
curl of wind velocity looks the same as the plot I sent you previously
of wind-stress curl.  lThe problem appears not to be the bilinear
interpolation of the buoyancy forcing terms; it appears that the
bicubic interpolation of the wind velocity is not smooth enough to
yield a smooth gradient.

Any ideas?

-Matt

ps> this calculation was done on an optimized solution -- I still need
to verify to make sure this feature has not been introduced by
controls -- but I am doubtful that the ctrl fields are the cause as
these are smoothed with Gael's package (100km length scale) and the
jump at the half-degrees are quite sharp