[MITgcm-support] New User

Constantinos Evangelinos ce107 at ocean.mit.edu
Mon Nov 30 11:17:35 EST 2009

On Saturday 28 November 2009 09:09:23 pm Dimitris Menemenlis wrote:
> Venkat, when you download the MITgcm, you will find a directory called
> MITgcm/tools/build_options which contains suggested default set ups for
> many different operating systems and compilers.
>
> I am not familiar with all the setups but as far as I am aware no one has
> used visual Fortran or Windows to compile the MITgcm yet.
>
> If you want to run MITgcm on a Windows platform you will either have to
> install and dual-boot a linux distro (the preferred option) or you can use
> cygwin (works but much slower).

There is a 3rd option of running Linux on a virtual machine (VMware, VirtualPC
or other) on your Windows box and running it from within there. The
performance penalty should not be that high unless you do a lot of I/O.

Constantinos
--
Dr. Constantinos Evangelinos
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences