[MITgcm-support] KPP parameter

David Ferreira dfer at mit.edu
Thu Nov 19 17:47:02 EST 2009

Martin Losch wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> the parameter BVDcon in table 6.5. does not exist in the code,
> probably a typo, it should be BVScon and the description is not
> accurate: It's only a lower limit of the N2 in the computation of
> mixing due to convection below the mixed layer. I have not been able
> to find the corresponding description in the original KPP paper (Large
> etal 1994, Rev Geophys. 32(4)), but it's part of the computations of
> vertical mixing coefficients from shear instability and (I guess)
> static instability (S/R Ri_iwmix), for shear instabilities it's
> described in eq(25-28), for buoyancy it's analogous. Here's the code
> (diffus(i,ki,2) is the local rho0*N2):
>> c  evaluate f of Brunt-Vaisala squared for convection, store in fcon
>>
>>             Rig   = max ( diffus(i,ki,2) , BVSQcon )
>>             ratio = min ( (BVSQcon - Rig) / BVSQcon, c1 )
>>             fcon  = c1 - ratio * ratio
>>             fcon  = fcon * fcon * fcon
> and then diffusivity=fcon*factor. I don't understand, why it has to be
> done for N2/(dV/dz)^2 and for N2, but maybe someone else can explain
> that (again, it's not documented in the original paper).
Martin,
This is what I was referring to last week when we were discussing GGL90.
This piece is the "hidden"
convective adjustment of KPP. It is required to remove statically
unstable profiles in the ocean
interior. This is why it makes sense to check in KPP that ivdc_kappa is
not on at the same time
(but not in GGL90).
david