[MITgcm-support] Single reduction CG solver

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 19 12:49:35 EST 2009

Hi Martin,

I imagine the algorithm would work just as well for the 3D problem,
though the point where the single-reduction method becomes more
efficient than the standard method might be different. My impression
is that the 3D solver does a lot more work per reduction, so it time
to solution might not be as dominated by reduction overhead.

The two cg2d's give the same results per iteration to within round-off
error. My benchmarking code writes in single precision and the
difference between the two methods is always single-precision zero,
even after thousands if iterations. I ran it through some of the
verification tests using testreport and all the ones that passed with
the "vanilla" CG routine also passed with the single-reduce routine.
(Oddly, several of the verification tests fail even if I try to run
them with a fresh out-of-the-box MITgcm. Perhaps I don't have my
compiler configured correctly.)

Cheers,
Christopher