[MITgcm-support] 3D forcing fields

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Nov 18 08:22:43 EST 2009

Hi Göran,

If you just want to prescribe a 3D field at certain time intervals,
I'd create a 3D forcing field (in FFIELDS.h) and copy/extend the input-
scheme of external_fields_load.F (instead of READ_REC_XY_RS  you'll
have to use READ_REC_XYZ_RS). If the z-dependence is a simple function
of depth (e.g. exp(-z/decayDepth)), I'd stick with 2D fields (because
reading is expensive) and add the vertical function to
external_forcing_u/v (external_forcing.F)

Alternatively, you can do the whole reading stuff in pkg/exf (where
you'd have to create new fields too, EXF_FIELDS.h and exf_getforcing.F).

Martin