[MITgcm-support] questions re. external forcing

Holly Dail hdail at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 27 14:33:50 EDT 2009

Thanks for the idea David.  Since my configuration uses dynamically
calculated FW and latent heat transport associated with evaporation,
balancing the model input files by themselves may not be enough.

For anyone who may want an answer to these questions as well, I've
talked to a few people offline and now have these impressions:
- Trying to mix gregorian calendar input files with the 'model'
calendar is a bad idea.  If using a realistic, modern setting, using
Gregorian everywhere probably makes the most sense.  In my case, I'll
probably develop simplified forcing fields with a 360 day year.

- There seems to be no built-in way to do balanced fluxes over longer
periods than one time step, so I'll modify the code to do it.  The sea
ice package complicates the process somewhat ... its important to
calculate the mis-balance after the sea ice package has calculated
fluxes in sea ice regions, and to consider whether to consider shifts
to and from sea ice as losses from the ocean or not (in my case
probably not as I could then 'correct' for lost freshwater when I
indeed want salinity to increase w/ sea ice formation).

thanks -
Holly