[MITgcm-support] building with MPI on a dual-core mac

Constantinos Evangelinos ce107 at ocean.mit.edu
Mon Jul 20 10:33:02 EDT 2009

On Sunday 19 July 2009 1:47:19 pm Klymak Jody wrote:

> Thanks for the more-knowledgeable explanation.  OS X allows you to
> turn the multithreading off if you desire.  Any idea if that makes
> things go faster if you do not oversubscribe the cores?

Only if the OS scheduler is not smart enough to avoid oversubscribing a core
(with hyperthreading) even when the other core is idle. Ie. if all virtual
cores are seen as equivalent, then there is a potential for slowdown of a 2
process run (it used to happen on RedHat Linux when hyperthreaded Pentium4s
first came out). But these days I doubt it and if you see a speedup from
using hyperthreading and 4 processes continue doing so.

> I'm afraid I have to run genmake2 with -ignoretime because of a
> missing library.   I suppose I should track that down. I'm using
> gfortran, gcc, and openMPI, so I'm surprised the timing code isn't in
> there.  I will also have to admit that I'm using a 4 year old version
> of the gcm so maybe the timing calls have changed to be more flexible.

Migrating to a newer version of the model is more important for bug fixing
reasons. There is an issue with the timing calls when using the double
underscore f2c name mangling/argument passing convention but it should not be
there with gfortran.

Constantinos
--
Dr. Constantinos Evangelinos
Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences