[MITgcm-support] building with MPI on a dual-core mac

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Fri Jul 17 20:19:00 EDT 2009

Hi Brian,

This was how I started on the macs as well.  I moved to openMPI when I
got a cluster because it supports Xgrid. You also don't need to start
a daemon (mpd).   OpenMPI compiles w/o any issues (that I recall).

Anyway, I get gfortran from http://hpc.sourceforge.net/ and openMPI
from http://OpenMPI.org.

Note that each of your cores can run two processes w/o any problem.
With your imac you could run -np 4 (though you may not want to surf
the web at the same time).

Any reason you have these commands in your optfile?

NOOPTFLAGS='-O2 -funroll-loops'
NOOPTFILES='gad_c4_adv_x.F gad_u3_adv_x.F'

I don't have them, and my jobs run fine.  However maybe I'm not
optimizing correctly.

Cheers,  Jody