[MITgcm-support] Minimum Viscosities

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 1 18:17:47 EDT 2009

Ryan,

If you have zonal boundaries, you need to set viscAh large enough to
resolve the Munk boundary layer ~(Ah/beta)^(1/3). I like to have 2-3
grid points in the Munk layer. If you don't resolve the Munk layer
you can get grid modes in the barotropic streamfunction.

If you use implicit vertical viscosity, I think you can make the
vertical viscosity as small as you want it. You might even be able to
set it to zero at let numerical viscosity do all the work for you.
I'm sure someone will correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Christopher

Dr. Christopher L. Wolfe                   858-534-4560
Physical Oceanography Research Division    OAR 357
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD  clwolfe at ucsd.edu