[MITgcm-support] initial W caused by bathymetry?

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Jan 7 10:55:26 EST 2009

Hi David,

I was not thinking when I replied to you this morning. You are right
of course, and a uniform horizontal flow-field on a C-grid is
automatically divergent near topography (because by definition there
is no flow into topography), so that everything is OK and you should
get the effects that you described. Your interpolated 3D solutions
are already nearly non-divergent (save the errors introduced by
interpolation) and you don't see the pronounced w-effects.

I guess you'll have to specify a non-divergent field as initial
conditions.

Martin