[MITgcm-support] AMD quad core

Gøran Brostrøm goran.brostrom at met.no
Tue Jan 6 13:57:11 EST 2009

Dear Dierk

MITgcm is very craving on memory bandwidth. The memory bandwidth is
often shared between dual processors and multiple cores. Therefore
adding cores and processors on a chip may not improve the performance. I
used to check 171.swim in spec2000 (http://www.spec.org/cpu2000) for
performance on different processors (this test is somewhat more craving
than MITgcm but it is nevertheless the one to look at). See if you can
find a similar system on spec2000 for guidance. I do not know what is a
good test in the new spec system.

Sincerely
Gøran