[MITgcm-support] memory on optim.x => Exit code -5

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 6 13:30:01 EST 2009

Hi Constantinos,

I received this from TACC help:

FROM: Lockman, John
(Concerning ticket No. 166079)

Matt,

32GiB is the maximum that you can use for a serial job on a ranger
node.  The
error you are receiving is indeed a result of using more than the 32 GiB
allotted on a node.  I'm not sure I understand your idea of spanning
across
multiple nodes on a serial job, as that would then make your job
parallel.
Perhaps it would be beneficial for you to parallelize this job so
that you can
split the work load [and memory] across multiple nodes.

-john

As I do not wish to take the initiative to parallelize optim.x I will
look for a remote machine to run it.  I believe my executable needs
about 50GB to run.  (What is the production run at these days?)  I'll
ask Bruce about the local machines here....and I guess Stommell will
work if not....

oh well, I knew this would happen eventually
thanks
-Matt