[MITgcm-support] Energy diagnostics?

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Sat Feb 21 22:12:22 EST 2009

Hi Jeff et al.

On Feb 17, 2009, at 8:51 AM, Jeffery Scott wrote:

> Several years ago Alistair and I worked out how to calculate this,
> i.e. ,  given complications due to Adams-Bashforth time stepping,
> and we able to diagnose under what conditions/run parameters the
> MITGCM conserves KE (albeit fairly limited testing of MITGCM
> options). PE is a bit more messy and I gave up at some point,
> perhaps others have had more patience.

OK, I'm ready for a hint at this point.  I have the diagnostic
working, and it improves the standard deviation of the error compared
to using snapshots by an order of magnitude (Comparing dE/dt to u(P+E)
- including all the PE terms).  So far so good, and its probably fine.

However, I do have the slight oddity that if I compute dE/dt as
diff(E)/dt_diagnostic the error is not as small as when I compute
diff(E)/(dt_diagnostic+dt_model/2).  So, is this the time-stepping
scheme telling me that it computes the large terms in E at time
bracketting the flux terms?  Or am I just tilting at windmills here?
Any thoughts you had about the "complications due to the Adams-
Bamforth time stepping" - even schematic ones - would be appreciated.

I've written a small document, and will post the code when I've run a
few more tests.

Thanks,  Jody