[MITgcm-support] new cluster advice

Nicolas Grisouard nicolas.grisouard at grenoble-inp.fr
Mon Feb 16 11:28:54 EST 2009

Blundell J.R. wrote:
> In December (after earlier thread) I went to a talk on forthcoming
>      processors for scientific applications. AMD have a new quad-core processor codenamed
>      "Shanghai" coming out around now, which seemed to give a significant improvement
>      in memory bandwidth, which made them seem very appealing. However Intel also have
>      a new generation of quad-core codenamed "Nehalem" coming later this year. Results from
>      these were embargoed, but I got the impression that they might well outperform "Shanghai".
>      [No, I do not understand what these processor names are all about].
I heard recent news that would confirm what you are saying. AMD faced
big problems during the development of its next quad-core and will
release it with a big delay (several months). The Nehalem will be
released soon after that and will already represent the next generation.

This is what I've heard, but I don't really know what the implications
for the MITgcm are.

--
Nicolas GRISOUARD
PhD Student - ERES research group