[MITgcm-support] Input data for MITgcm

ankur gupta ang014 at ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 5 13:48:31 EST 2009

Hello,

I am a grad student at SIO, UCSD. I have run standard Global Ocean
Simulation (3.12) at 4x4 resolution and trying to run a similar
simulation at 1x1 resolution.
I am trying to get the input data for 1x1 resoulution. The manual says
initialization data and surface fluxes are from Levitus and DaSilva, I
have found the data on ldeo.columbia.edu. However it seems 4x4
simulation has input files for net fluxes and EPR (evaporation,
precipitation, runoff) named like 'ncep_  '. Can I get the link to the
data, if NCEP or otherwise, 4x4 simulation is using. I can use DaSilva
for Q(net) and EPR, but it doesn't have the runoff data. If someone
has used DaSilva for Q(net) what data sets are you using from
DaSilva.. I am trying Q(net)=Q(net longwave) - Shortwave, but I found
the DaSilva data set has more +ve Constrained net longwave than
longwave itself.

Further, for the temperature forcing, F= (T-T*)/tau - Q/(constant), I
found out that for T* the code looks for data from the SST files.
Please confirm.

Thanks,
Ankur
Graduate Student
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD