[MITgcm-support] MPI scaling of coupled aim-ocn runs

Andrew Keats wakeats at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 15:44:32 EST 2009

Hello everybody,

I have just begun setting up a coupled run based on the code in the
verification/cpl_aim+ocn directory.  By editing SIZE.h's I have set
up runs with different combinations of processes (1 ocn / 1 atm ; 2
ocn / 1 atm ; 1 ocn / 2 atm ; 2 ocn / 2 atm ; 1 ocn / 3 atm) and the
fastest run seems to be the one with 1 ocn / 2 atm.

We are eventually hoping to use this code to do multiple thousand-
year runs for the last glaciation (at some point will attempt
coupling with Tarasov's glacial system model).  Does anyone know what
the best configuration of processes/threads is for running the
coupled model?  I haven't tried multithreading yet, only MPI.  Also,
is there a way to tell how well synchronized the atmosphere and ocean
processes are?  Does it happen that one ends up waiting for the other
if the ratio of the time steps is off?

Many thanks,

Andrew

--