[MITgcm-support] ETA with making Boussinesq approximations

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Wed Aug 26 04:30:33 EDT 2009

Hi lian,

the ocean model pressure coordinates is a non-boussinesq model (I
guess that's what you want).

In pressure coordinates the variables are re-interpreted, e.g. the
vertical coordinates rc and rf are no longer "z" in meters, but
pressure "p" in Pascals. wVel is no longer the vertical velocity in m/
s but a pseudo velocity omega=dp/dt in Pascal/s. Eta is no longer the
position of the sea surface, but it is the bottom pressure anomaly (in
Pascals); if you use the diagnostic ETAN, you find that in the case
it's called "bottom pressure anomaly" and in the z-coordinate case
it's called "surface height anomaly". Basically the model is turned
upside down with k=Nr being the surface and k=1 the bottom of the
domain (even below the topography). Please have a look at Losch et al
2004, JPO, or Marshall, J., A. Adcroft, J.-M. Campin, C. Hill, and A.
White, Atmosphere-ocean modeling exploiting fluid isomorphisms, Mon.
Wea. Rev., 132, 2882-2894, 2004.Available from: http://mitgcm.org/pdfs/a_o_iso.pdf
, doi:10.1175/MWR2835.1 and the documentation for more details.

Likewise the bottom pressure anomaly diagnostics 'PHIBOT  ' in z-
coordinates becomes the surface height anomaly diagnostics in p-
coordinates, in both cases you need the appropriate scaling constants
to get the correct units (in p-coordinates it's PHIBOT/gravity, I
believe).

Martin