[MITgcm-support] Read theta(salt)&eta from outer files when the model restarted

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Aug 14 02:31:08 EDT 2009

I don't think, that I understand what you want to do. Do you really
want to re-initialize the model in on-going integrations (without
stopping and restarting from a restart/pickup file)? That's not going
to work to well, because with every re-initialization there's going to
be shock that the model has to deal with -> I would expect
instabiliities and many waves. But if you really want to try then
you'll have to take the code from S/R ini_fields and subroutines
called from within and place them somewhere within S/R forward_step
(maybe load_fields_driver/external_fields_load) with the appropriate
instruction, as to when the fields are to be read (see
external_fields_load.F for an example).

Instead you could restore your model to some theta/salinity fields
(but not eta), e.g. with the help of the rbcs package.

Good luck,

Martin