[MITgcm-support] diagnosing problems with the adjoint

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 12 11:42:08 EDT 2009

Hi Holly,

Your adjoint is definitely blowing up (how many timesteps is your grad
check....its blowing up fast).   Try turning off packages when you run
the adjoint and see if that helps.  Are you using the divided
adjoint?  If so you can just change some things to false in data.pkg
when its about to start.  Turn off KPP and GMREDI and packages of that
nature.  If you are not using the divided adjoint then you have to use
autodiff_inadmode_set.F to turn these things off.  In this file just set
       usePtracers  = .FALSE.
       useKPP = .FALSE.
       useGMREDI = .FALSE.
       useSEAICE = .FALSE.

Then try again

-Matt

ps> out of curiosity, what viscosity and diffusivity are you trying to
run the adjoint with?

Oh, and also some of the advection schemes may not be stable.  I am
using
  multiDimAdvection=.FALSE.,
  tempAdvScheme=30,
  saltAdvScheme=30,

   pps> of course the real expert is just upstairs from you -- bug
him :o)