[MITgcm-support] doc/tag-index

Chris Hill cnh at mit.edu
Wed Aug 5 11:14:04 EDT 2009

Hi Holly and others,

 Since Martin thinks someone is more on top of things than him (which
I'm not sure is true) I'll say something on
 what we try and do.

 We found that a so-called stable release wasn't that interesting to
most people (even though it sounds
 good on paper and to the managerial oriented). Mostly what people wanted was
 a stable release and the newest features! So we have a system of
continuous updates
 with a labeling system checkpointNN[a-z]. Generally something that is labelled
 "checkpointNN[a-z]" is doing reasonably well and isn't total junk.
Increments in the [a-z] letter appear
 on weeks to  months time scales. Increments in the NN suffix appear
less frequently, months apart
 generally. A checkpointNN thing is usually better tested (especially
with regard to
 AD features) and usually marks a boundary between more invasive bits
of development.

 Most people take a recent "checkpoinNN[a-z]" thing and then stick
with that for a while.
 That helps in knowing what you have, being able to reproduce things
and in asking questions, since
 its clear what you started with. Once a thing is labelled
checkpointNN[a-z] it is frozen and a
 checkout of checkpointNN[a-z] will always give the same thing.
 Other people take the most recent thing and continually update, but
thats for the
 more adventurous and fearless folks.

Chris