[MITgcm-support] how to initialize a 2D geostrophic flow

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Mon Apr 27 11:22:35 EDT 2009

Hi Matt,

On Apr 25, 2009, at  12:30 PM, Matthew Mazloff wrote:

> is this true -- I thought eta is solved for in first time step to
> make flow non-divergent?  I need to check this?

Ummm, Hmmm, I guess I'm not *sure*, but I'm pretty sure.  The flow can
be non-divergent with eta=0, yet not be in geostrophic balance.  If
your flow is in the x-direction you need to provide the dp/dy somehow.

I'm pretty sure I played with some channel flows and forgot to set eta
and was sad.  But it was a few years ago.

Anyhow if I'm mistaken, let me know!

Cheers,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak