[MITgcm-support] zero free surface

Christopher L. Wolfe clwolfe at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 20 14:38:16 EDT 2009

Nataliya,

In the rigid lid case, Eta is the pressure exerted on the surface by
the rigid lid, not the surface elevation itself. I'm pretty sure
there's no dynamically consistent way to fix the pressure on the
surface to a constant in an incompressible fluid.

Perhaps something else is going wrong with the MITgcm that causes it
to diverge from your 2D code ...

Christopher