[MITgcm-support] run with different time steps

Abbas Dorostkar dorostkara at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:20:00 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I am running a Lake model for 11 days (269-280 Julian Days) with high
resolution grid spacing (1380X540X98).  At the beginning of simulation, I
can use deltaT=10 sec but after 2.5 days (when Internal Solitary Waves
initiate), I need to use deltaT=1 or even less otherwise the model crashes.
Therefore, I should use multiple time steps in the model to save run time.

I did some tests with a low resolution model to see the result.  In the
first run, the model was run with deltaT=50 for the whole period. In the
second run, I got the pickupfiles of the first run after 2 days and
restarted the model with deltaT=25 for 271 to 280 Julian Days.  I compared
the result of these two simulations (from 271-280 Julian Days) with field
data and the result of second run is worse quantitatively and qualitatively.
 However, if I restart the second model without changing deltaT, the result
is the same as first run.  I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or
if this problem is common. Is it related to the time-stepping method I use.
I have attached the data file here:

Tref =,
sRef=0.,
viscAz=1.E-3,