[MITgcm-support] Eta, ETAN and SIheff

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Tue Sep 2 03:45:32 EDT 2008

Elja,

what do you mean by Eta and EtaN? From DYNVARS.h:
C     etaN  - free-surface r-anomaly (r unit) at current time level
so this is the name of the model variable for SSH. In the presence of
sea ice it is the surface underneath sea ice. For a particular
parameter configuration (#define ATMOSPHERIC_LOADING and
useRealFreshWaterFlux=.true.,) the free surface is actually depressed
by ice load (so that ice is not floating "on top" of the ocean but
really in the ocean).

what is "Eta" in your question?

You can try to initialize SIheff (effective ice thickness = volume/
grid-cell are) from a file, and with useSEAICE=.true. set
usePW79thermodynamics = .false.,
       SEAICEadvHeff      = .false.,
       SEAICEadvArea      = .false.,
       SEAICEadvSnow      = .FALSE.,
       SEAICEadvSalt      = .FALSE.,
SEAICEuseDYNAMICS = .false., ! only to turn off the computation of
unused drift velocities.

You'll still have some overhead from the ice model, but ice thickness
should not change.

Martin