[MITgcm-support] output_mitgcm

Martin Losch Martin.Losch at awi.de
Fri Oct 3 05:46:16 EDT 2008

Letizia,
"tave" stands for time average. Apparently you have the package
"timeave" enabled and tavefreq > 0 in the parameter list file "data".
This gives a predefined set of output variables average over
"tavefreq" (should really be called "period" and not "frequency").
This package "timeave" is old and before I explain all of these
variables, I recommend switching to the diagnostics package which is
far more flexible and "user friendly" (once you've understood it's
principles. In order to do that: in code/packages.conf you remove the
line timeave and replace it with diagnostics, then you put pkg/
diagnostics/DIAGNOSTICS_SIZE.h into your code directory, edit it to
have enough output variables availablen, then in your build directory
you repeat the entire build process: "make makefile && make CLEAN &&
make depend && make". In data.diagnostics you can then select which
fields you want to save at which intervals (running the model once
will give you a file available_diagnostics.log, which gives you a
list of, nomen est omen, available diagnostic variables for your
specific configuration with a short descriptioin of what they are).
See the documentation on this for more details:
<http://mitgcm.org/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node259.html>
and example data.diagnostics in some of the verifcation experiments
(type:
"find ./*/input/ -name data.diagnostics -print" in verification to
find our where they are).

If you don't want to do that, then the variables are mostly
straightforward, eg. ETAtave is the average of ETA (sea surface
elevation), uVeltave is the horizontal velocity in i-(probably
longitude in  your case) direction, UUtave is u^2, etc.

Martin