[MITgcm-support] seaice_salinity

Matthew Mazloff mmazloff at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 18 13:01:35 EST 2008

Hi Dimitris,

Right, it may not be the seaice model itself, the seaice dynamics may
be causing the ocean model to blow up.  And it might be the aspect
ratio.  Unfortunately I don't really know when and where the
instability is occurring.  The problem is the crash always takes at
least 14 days to occur.  So I really don't get that output....maybe I
can code something so that when the stop is called it writes the
final state.  I'll look into that.

So do you have any hunches as to what is happening at what may cause
this.  Earlier you wrote,
  "The CS510 solution also has some very saline water in narrow
fjords around Antarctica.  I think what might be happening is that
ice is acting as a salinity pump, taking freshwater out of the fjord,
when ice dynamics are turned on, but there is no mechanism for
flushing the salty water out in the model ocean.  Let me know what
you find.  D."
The model is more stable with #undef SEAICE_SALINITY so perhaps this
is the case.  Is there anything I can further do to prevent this
"salinity pump".

-Matt