[MITgcm-support] Problem with Bathymetry

Klymak Jody jklymak at uvic.ca
Mon Nov 10 10:01:32 EST 2008

Hello Abbas:

Three suggestions - 1) rotate your lake to run "N-S" or "E-W" and then
use far more grid cells in the long direction.

2) change dx and dy in the vicinity of the canyon. delx and dely do
not need to be constants.

3) simply teak the topography by hand to include the canyon if it is
important to your dynamics.

Cheers,  Jody

On Nov 10, 2008, at 6:07 AM, Abbas Dorostkar wrote:

> Hi Martin,
> Thanks for your prompt reply.
> I don't have any problem with my bathymetry file if I use large
> number of grid points (e.g. nx=ny=1000) to generate it(see fig1).
> The problem arose when I use small number of grids (e.g. nx=ny=240)
> so that the canyon in my topography cannot be seen (see fig 2).  I
> need to use small number of grids due to lack of enough
> computational power. Do you have any idea how to fix that.
> Thanks,
> Abbas
> <fig1.jpg><fig2.jpg>

Jody Klymak