[MITgcm-support] PTRACERS Initialization

Ryan Abernathey rpa at MIT.EDU
Sun Nov 2 17:45:35 EST 2008

Hello,

I'm trying to do a tracer advection using an online model. Everything
is working fine using
PTRACERS_Iter0 = 0,
PTRACERS_initialFile(1)='tracer0.bin',
etc.

However, I would like to add the tracer after the model has spun up a
bit, so I just set
PTRACERS_Iter0 = 2000

This made the tracer zero at all timesteps. I found this in the
documentation (http://mitgcm.org/r2_manual/latest/online_documents/node237.html
):
"PTRACERS_Iter0 which is the integer timestep when the tracer
experiment is initialized. If nIter0  = PTRACERS_Iter0 then the
tracers are initialized to zero or from initial files. If nIter0  >
PTRACERS_Iter0 then tracers (and previous timestep tendency terms) are
read in from a the ptracers pickup file. Note that tracers of zeros
will be carried around if nIter0  < PTRACERS_Iter0. "

This seems to explain my problem, but I still don't understand the
best way to accomplish my goal.

I just want to start the tracer from my initialFile at an advanced
timestep.

Thanks!
Ryan Abernathey
rpa at mit.edu