[MITgcm-support] Questions on curvilinear grid

Luca Liberti luca.liberti at apat.it
Fri May 23 12:31:32 EDT 2008

Hi,
we are trying to make a simulation using a curvilinear orthogonal grid
in spherical coordinates.
Starting from the grid nodes coordinates computed by my meshing program
we calculate
all the relevant grid parametrs  such as  Ac,Ag,As,Aw, dxc,dyc etc.and
put them in a
NetCDF file.  However it is not clear to us what the grid orientation
parameters
angleCosC and angleSinC mean. What is the angle they are refferring to?
Our best guess would be the one between the positive x direction on the
grid (i to i+1) and the
geographic north. Are we right?
Also, having nx x ny nodes in the grid, most of the grid parameters
contain less elements.
For instance Ac is defined in (nx-1)x(ny-1) positions and Aw in
(nx-2)x(ny-1).
Since all the arrays have the same dimensions shall we put the resulting
values starting from
element I=1 and J=1 (meaning that all the missing values will be located
at the I and J upper
limits)or not ?

Thanks in advance for your help
Luca Liberti and Gianmaria Sannino