[MITgcm-support] restart from pickup files (cube-sphere)

Jean-Michel Campin jmc at ocean.mit.edu
Fri Mar 28 14:58:54 EDT 2008

Hi Yuan,

As Dimitris mentionned, when
a) you redistribute tiles between processors
and/or
b) change the size of the tiles,
you shoud expect different truncation errors, specially with global sum.
If you run just for few iterations, the differences should be small,
and you can check this.

If you keep the same number of tiles (case a)(just changing nSx,nSy,nPx,nPy)
then you don't have to change the EXCH2 files, and if you
1) change "#undef GLOBAL_SUM_SEND_RECV" to
   to    "#define GLOBAL_SUM_SEND_RECV" in CPP_EEOPTIONS.h
2) compile with zero optimisation
you should be able to get the same results (but some compiler and/or
 some very sensitive set-up might still produce little differences ;
 you can check the results of our daily testing, all very short test
 with no optimization, e.g. with g77 & mpi:
   http://mitgcm.org/testing.html
 to get an idea of which type of set-up is in this case).

If you change the size & number of tiles (case b), and you are not using
nonHydrostatic, you can try "#define CG2D_SINGLECPU_SUM" in
CPP_EEOPTIONS.h, with is supposed to be slower but has been
added recently to check this kind of thing (again, with no optimization).

Cheers,
Jean-Michel