[MITgcm-support] Question about .bin files

Elja Huibregtse J.N.Huibregtse at student.TUDelft.NL
Thu Mar 13 10:17:40 EDT 2008

Dear Sir / Madam,

Currently, I am working on my master thesis concerning the ocean dynamics of Europa (one moon of Jupiter), as a final part of my study Aerospace Engineering at the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.

In order to model the ocean dynamics, my supervisor advised me to use MITgcm. Therefore, I would like to adapt the topography-file (topog.bin) -and the other .bin files- to the situation on this moon. Unfortunately, I do not know how to proceed. From the manual (page 151), I learned that the files are 'assumed to contain 64-bit binary numbers'. However, when I try to load the file in Matlab, it does not work, properly.

Would you be able to tell me what the format of the .bin files is and how I can adapt or make the .bin files myself (if possible, using Matlab)?

Thank you very much in advance.

With kind regards,

Elja Huibregtse